Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Warm Springs in Bath County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

The Rev. Dr. William H. Sheppard

(28 May 1865 – 25 Nov. 1927)

 
 
The Rev. Dr. William H. Sheppard image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Dawn Bowen, July 22, 2007
1. The Rev. Dr. William H. Sheppard
Inscription.  Born in Waynesboro to former slaves, William H. Sheppard became a Presbyterian missionary to the Belgian colony of Congo Free State in 1890. He and others opposed King Leopold II of Belgium, who encouraged such atrocities as the amputation of children's hands to intimidate Congolese rubber workers. On 21 Aug. 1904, while visiting his mother here, Sheppard spoke out at Warm Springs Presbyterian Church; reportedly, the Belgian ambassador attended. Later, in Africa, Sheppard published his charges, and the Belgian rubber monopoly sued for libel. After a judge dismissed the suit in Sept. 1909, an investigation verified Sheppard’s claims and compelled improvements. Sheppard returned permanently to America in 1910.
 
Erected 1998 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number D-38.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Churches & ReligionCivil Rights. In addition, it is included in the Virginia Department of Historic Resources (DHR) series list. A significant historical month for this entry is September 1909.
 
Location. 38° 3.182′ N, 79° 46.831′ W. Marker is in Warm Springs, Virginia, in Bath County. Marker is at the intersection of U.S. 220 and Virginia Route 39, on the right when traveling north on U.S. 220. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Warm Springs VA 24484, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Early Bath County Courthouses (here, next to this marker); Terrill Hill (here, next to this marker); Warm Springs Baths (within shouting distance of this marker); Mary Johnston (approx. half a mile away); Overshoot Wheel (approx. 0.6 miles away); Waterwheel Restaurant Building (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Dinwiddie Mantle (approx. 0.6 miles away); Bath County Historical Society Building (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Warm Springs.
 
The Rev. Dr. William H. Sheppard Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. J. Prats, May 2, 2010
2. The Rev. Dr. William H. Sheppard Marker
Marker along US 220 image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Dawn Bowen, July 22, 2007
3. Marker along US 220
Marker Cluster image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Swain, July 10, 2010
4. Marker Cluster
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 24, 2019. It was originally submitted on July 22, 2007, by Dawn Bowen of Fredericksburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,311 times since then and 27 times this year. Last updated on February 22, 2008, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio. Photos:   1. submitted on July 22, 2007, by Dawn Bowen of Fredericksburg, Virginia.   2. submitted on May 4, 2010, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.   3. submitted on July 22, 2007, by Dawn Bowen of Fredericksburg, Virginia.   4. submitted on August 9, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=5607

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 19, 2024