Eagle Pass in Maverick County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Established by Captain S. Burbank, first U.S. Infantry, March 27, 1849 as a protection to western communication. Garrisoned by Federal troops until March 20, 1861 and since 1868. Now known as Camp Eagle Pass
Erected 1936 by State of Texas. (Marker Number 14217.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts or Castles • War, World I • Wars, US Indian. In addition, it is included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments series list.
Location. 28° 42.197′ N, 100° 30.224′ W. Marker is in Eagle Pass, Texas, in Maverick County. Marker is at the intersection of South Adams Street and Bullis Street, on the left when traveling south on South Adams Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Eagle Pass TX 78852, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 6 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named Fort Duncan (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Fort Duncan Infantry Barracks (about 600 feet away); Eagle Pass C.S.A.Maverick County (approx. 0.4 miles away); Maverick County Courthouse (approx. 0.4 miles away); Eagle Pass Coal Mines (approx. 3.6 miles away).
More about this marker. One of the large granite "Star and Wreath" type monument markers placed over 75 years ago by the State of Texas during the state's centennial year of 1936.
Regarding Fort Duncan. At the time the marker was erected, Fort Duncan was still an active Army post. The site is now a city park. There are several surviving fort buildings to be experienced including a museum in the former post headquarters, the powder magazine, commanding officer's quarters, bakery, and commissary.
Also see . . . Fort Duncan. The Handbook of Texas Online, Texas State Historical Association (Submitted on June 8, 2012, by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on March 18, 2018. It was originally submitted on June 8, 2012, by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas. This page has been viewed 545 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 8, 2012, by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.