St. Petersburg in Leningrad Oblast, Northwestern Federal District, Russia
Church of the Resurrection of Christ
"Church of Our Savior on the Blood"
[Text in Russian] …
Text in English:
The Church of the Resurrection of Christ is built on the site where the Emperor Alexander II was mortally wounded on 1 March 1881, to the eternal memory of the Tsar Liberator, with the blessed contributions of the imperial family and all the Russian people. The first stone of the church was laid on 6 October 1883.
[Text in German] …
Erected by Church of the Resurrection of Christ.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Notable Buildings. A significant historical date for this entry is March 1, 1881.
Location. 59° 56.4′ N, 30° 19.767′ E. Marker is in St. Petersburg, Northwestern Federal District, in Leningrad Oblast. Marker is on Kanal Griboyedova south of Koyushennaya ploschad. The church is just south of the Neva River (east of the Baltic Sea, Gulf of Finland), adjacent to Griboedov Canal [naberezhnaya Kanala Griboyedova] and west of Michael Park [Mikhaylovskiy Sad]. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2a Kanal Touch for directions.
Also see . . .
1. Church of the Savior on Blood.
Type of site: Church; now a museum.
Faith: Russian Orthodox Church.
Names: Khram Spasa na Krovi; Church of the Savior on Spilled Blood; Church of Our Savior on Blood and the Church of the Resurrection of Jesus Christ; Savior on Potatoes. ...
The "blood" of the common name refers to that of Tsar Alexander II, who was killed on that site on March 13, 1881, as well as that of the crucified Jesus. ...
In line with medieval Russian architecture. It intentionally resembles the famous St. Basil's Cathedral in Moscow. (Submitted on June 25, 2012, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
2. Aleksandr Nikolayevich [Emperor Alexander II]. ... The "Tsar Liberator" - renowned for emancipating the serfs of Russia in 1861. (Submitted on June 25, 2012, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
Additional keywords. Alfred Alexandrovich Parland, chief architect.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on June 25, 2012, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 4,308 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 25, 2012, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. 3, 4, 5. submitted on June 26, 2012, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. 6. submitted on June 25, 2012, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.