Glen Dale in Marshall County, West Virginia — The American South (Appalachia)
Harriet B. Jones
(b. 3 June 1856; d. 28 June 1943)
Erected 2006 by Celebration 2000 - West Virginia Division of Archives and History.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Science & Medicine • Women. In addition, it is included in the West Virginia Archives and History, and the Women's Suffrage series lists.
Location. 39° 57.275′ N, 80° 45.229′ W. Marker is in Glen Dale, West Virginia, in Marshall County. Marker is at the intersection of Wheeling Avenue (West Virginia Route 2) and 1st Street, on the right when traveling north on Wheeling Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Glen Dale WV 26038, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured The Cockayne Farm / Samuel A.J. Cockayne (approx. 0.8 miles away); Foreman Massacre (approx. 2 miles away); Forman Massacre (approx. 2 miles away); Lindy’s Landing (approx. 2.1 miles away); Recipients of the Purple Heart (approx. 2˝ miles away); Old Brick School House (approx. 2˝ miles away); Volunteers in the Spanish-American War (approx. 2˝ miles away); Marshall County Commemorates Service Men and Women (approx. 2˝ miles away).
Also see . . .
1. People of State Owe Much to Dr. Harriet B. Jones First Woman To Be Doctor In The State. Article from the Morgantown Post November 13, 1937 on West Virginia Archives and History webpage (Submitted on July 7, 2012, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.)
2. Dr. Harriet B. Jones. Biography -- Changing the Face of Medicine, National Library of Medicine. (Submitted on January 1, 2014, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 8, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 7, 2012, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 484 times since then and 50 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 7, 2012, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.