Galveston in Galveston County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
This large Victorian home was built in 1895 by Captain Charles Clarke, a prominent figure in the Galveston shipping industry.
In 1928 the house was purchased by grain exporter Julius W. Jockusch, who served as consul in Belgium and later consul in Germany. Constructed with double brick walls, the house withstood the 1900 storm and other hurricanes, serving many times as a shelter for friends and neighbors.
Incise in base: Replaced 1983, Hoblitzelle Foundation/Texas Historical Foundation
Erected 1965. (Marker Number 8234.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings.
Location. Marker has been reported missing. It was located near 29° 18.163′ N, 94° 47.181′ W. Marker was in Galveston, Texas, in Galveston County. Marker could be reached from Sealy Avenue near 18th Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker was at or near this postal address: 1728 Sealy Ave, Galveston TX 77550, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. Isabella Offenbach Maas Residence (a few steps from this marker); The Maas House (within shouting distance of this marker); Trube House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Sonnentheil Home (about 400 feet away); Fredrick William Beissner House (about 400 feet away); Maud Moller House (about 500 feet away); Adriance-Springer House (about 500 feet away); Former Site of Heidenheimer's Castle (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Galveston.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 12, 2012, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 513 times since then and 33 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on July 12, 2012, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.