Martinsburg in Berkeley County, West Virginia — The American South (Appalachia)
Railroad Raids Survivor
The possession of Martinsburg, a strategic railroad center, was hotly contested during the early years of the war. On May 24, 1861, Gen. Joseph E. Johnson ordered Jackson to destroy the rolling stock here. Beginning in June, over the next the ten months more than 400 cars and 40 locomotives were taken, damaged, or destroyed. The Confederates also stripped the round-house complex of its stationary equipment, tools and 40-foot turntable but did not destroy the buildings. A few of the locomotives were disassembled, and 40-horse teams dragged them up the turnpikes to Strasburg. Several were transported in pieces to Richmond, reassembled, and returned to use.
In September-October 1862, after the Battle of Antietam (Sharpsburg), Maryland, Jackson’s retreating column occupied Martinsburg. The Confederates destroyed almost 38 miles of track and burned the round-house,
The B&O bought the building in 1866, expanded it, and used it as the station, eating house, telegraph office, and hotel. In 1877 the trainmen and enginemen here struck to protest wage cuts, starting the “Great Strike of 1877” nationwide. Railroad and military officials suppressed the strike here, using this building as headquarters.
Erected by West Virginia Civil War Trails.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the West Virginia Civil War Trails series list.
Location. 39° 27.534′ N, 77° 57.66′ W. Marker is in Martinsburg, West Virginia, in Berkeley County. Marker is on East Race Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 177 East Race Street, Martinsburg WV 25401, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Roundhouses and Shops / Railroad Strike of 1877 (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Baltimore and Ohio Railroad Shop Complex (about 300 feet away); Baltimore and Ohio Roundhouse and Shop Complex (about 300 feet away); Martinsburg Roundhouse (about 300 feet away); Belle Boyd HouseBelle Boyd House (about 400 feet away); Apollo Theater (about 400 feet away); Harry Flood Byrd (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Martinsburg.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 22, 2012, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 671 times since then and 62 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 22, 2012, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. 3. submitted on August 26, 2012, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.