Lexington, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Gen. T. J. Jackson
Placed by Virginia Division
United Daughters of
July 30, 1997
Erected 1997 by United Daughters of the Confederacy.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Animals • War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the United Daughters of the Confederacy series list. A significant historical month for this entry is July 1911.
Location. 37° 47.435′ N, 79° 26.168′ W. Marker is in Lexington, Virginia. Marker can be reached from Letcher Avenue, on the left when traveling east. Marker is located on the grounds of the Virginia Military Institute. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lexington VA 24450, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Cadet Battery (here, next to this marker); Barracks The Virginia Military Institute (within shouting distance of this marker); Virginia Military Institute Historic District (within shouting distance of this marker); George C. Marshall (within shouting distance of this marker); Korean WarGeorge Catlett Marshall (within shouting distance of this marker); Jackson’s Classroom (within shouting distance of this marker); General Lemuel C. Shepherd Jr. (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lexington.
1. Little Sorrel
“Little Sorrel” gained fame as the favorite mount of “Stonewall” Jackson during the Civil War. Jackson purchased the small horse from a Baltimore & Ohio train in 1861 for $150, with the intention of sending him to Mrs. Jackson. Little Sorrel (so named to distinguish him from a larger sorrel-colored horse Jackson owned) proved to be so calm on the battlefield Jackson decided to keep him. The pair were together throughout Jackson’s celebrated 1862 Valley Campaign. - Source: VMI Museum.
— Submitted August 23, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 23, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 559 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on August 23, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.