His Friends Rest Here
Looking for Lincoln
"Here, too, the father of the town, with other men of large renown, are gathered by that reaper stern, who cuts down each and all in turn" (Henry Asbury, Reminiscences of Quincy, Illinois". Referring to the leaders from an earlier time resting on the bluffs overlooking the Mississippi River. Asbury thus addressed in poetry the historical significance of Woodland Cemetery. The cemetery contains the graves of many of Lincoln's personal and political friends, including notables such as Asbury, Nehemiah Bushnell, Orville and Eliza Browning, Jackson Grimshaw, William A. Richardson, and Archibald Williams. Asbury, Bushnell, Orville Browning, Grimshaw, and Judge Williams all practiced law and knew Lincoln from the early days. The longest female friendship in Lincoln's life was with Eliza Caldwell Browning whose gravestone records their thirty-year friendship. Asbury, Bushnell, Browning, Grimshaw, and Wood joined Lincoln in helping to found the Republican Party in Illinois and later, forwarded his cause in gaining the presidency. Richardson was an early ally who split politically with Lincoln but remained a friend. Here, too,
Woodland is Quincy's oldest active cemetery. Planned in 1846 by John Ward on land he would provide the city. Woodland Cemetery is the final resting place of Wood, Quincy's founder, who also was the twelfth governor of Illinois. The cemetery is unique in that it preserves the topography found here when settlers first arrived and when Lincoln visited Quincy. Located on its grounds were a Civil War hospital and the U.S. National Military Cemetery of Quincy, established in 1858 in the northwest portion of the grounds. Woodland contains the graves of many of Quincy's pioneers, cholera victims, abolitionists, soldiers and leaders---including many of state and national historical significance.
Thousands of President Lincoln's troops trained or were quartered in Quincy. The first army camp, one of three named Camp Wood, was located just east of Woodland Cemetery on the Adams County Fair grounds. The Sixteenth Illinois Regiment, with many well-known local citizens, including their future commander General James Morgan, was organized and mustered into service here in May 1861. The camp was irregular in its formation with headquarters being in the center and the ten companies scattered on either side along the outer limit. Dr. William Githens, first assistant surgeon, drew this diagram of the camp on the back of a letter. Eight additionalunits mustered in at this camp during the Civil War. many soldiers who left form Quincy camps returned on riverboats to be cared for in Quincy;s five military hospitals, on located in Woodland Cemetery.
Erected by State of Illinois Historic Preservation Agency & Looking for Lincoln Heritage Coalition.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Looking for Lincoln marker series.
Location. 39° 55.151′ N, 91° 24.545′ W. Marker is in Quincy, Illinois, in Adams County. Marker is on South 5th Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1021 South 5th Street, Quincy IL 62301, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A Victorian Cemetery (here, next to this marker); Search for Equality (approx. 0.8 miles away); John Wood Mansion (approx. 0.9 miles away); Political Allies (approx. 0.9 miles away); A Quincy "Copperhead" (approx. 0.9 miles away); Stephen A. Douglas in Quincy (approx. 0.9 miles away); The Mormons in Quincy (approx. 0.9 miles away); Lincoln's Honored Friend (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Quincy.
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • War, US Civil •
More. Search the internet for His Friends Rest Here.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 8, 2019. This page originally submitted on August 26, 2012, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 484 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 26, 2012, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.