Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Your search returned just this marker . . .
Solomons in Calvert County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Wm. B. Tennison

 
 
Wm. B. Tennison Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, March 11, 2012
1. Wm. B. Tennison Marker
Inscription.   Wm. B. Tennison was built in 1899 by Frank Laird at Crab Island near Oriole, Maryland. Her hull is constructed in traditional Chesapeake log canoe fashion-nine large pine logs. Hollowed out and fastened together. She was built as a two-mastered bugeye and designed mainly for oyster dredging. In 1906-1907 the Tennison was converted to engine power and her sailing rig was removed and a pilothouse added. This is how she appears today.

From 1907 until 1978 the Tennison earned her living as a buyboat, hauling oysters and dredging on leased oyster beds. For much of that time she was owned by the J. C. Lore and Sons Company of Solomons. She was acquired by the Calvert Marine Museum in 1979 from Alton Kersey, her last owner.

Wm. B. Tennison today serves as a floating exhibit and tour boat and has become a symbol of the maritime heritage of Calvert County. She is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and in 1994 was designated a National Historic Landmark.

Wm. B. Tennison offers narrated one-hour tour of Solomons harbor and nearby Patuxent River, Wednesday-Sunday, including holidays, from May through October. Space is available

Wm. B. Tennison Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, March 11, 2012
2. Wm. B. Tennison Marker
on a first-come, first-served basis. A maximum of 45 passengers can be carried.

The Chesapeake Bay Buy-Boat
Wm. Tennison
Built 1899
Crab Island, Maryland
Has been a designated a
National Historic Landmark
This vessel possesses National Significance in
commemorating the history of the United States of America.
1994
National Park Service
United States Department of the Interior

 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Waterways & Vessels. In addition, it is included in the National Historic Landmarks series list.
 
Location. 38° 19.872′ N, 76° 27.792′ W. Marker is in Solomons, Maryland, in Calvert County. Marker is on Solomons Island Road, South. Located on the grounds of the Calvert Marine Museum. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 14200 Solomons Island Road, South, Solomons MD 20688, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Welcome to Drum Point Lighthouse (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named Wm. B. Tennison (a few steps from this marker); The Business End of a Screwpile (a few steps from this marker); Calvert Marine Museum's Dee of St. Mary's (a few steps from this marker); Power Bateau
Wm. B. Tennison Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, March 11, 2012
3. Wm. B. Tennison Marker
(within shouting distance of this marker); This flagpole (within shouting distance of this marker); Sailing Bateau Witch of the Wave (within shouting distance of this marker); Scoot (Reproduction) (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Solomons.
 
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. This marker has been replaced by the linked marker.
 
Also see . . .  William B. Tennison - National Historic Landmark NPS. (Submitted on October 12, 2012, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.)
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 31, 2019. It was originally submitted on October 11, 2012, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 359 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on October 11, 2012, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 6, 2020