Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Tyler in Smith County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Camp Fannin

 
 
Camp Fannin Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, September 13, 2012
1. Camp Fannin Marker
Inscription.  Numerous military bases were expanded or established throughout Texas during World War II. Originally planned as an Air Corps installation, construction of Camp Fannin began in late 1942. Named in honor of Texas revolutionary hero James Walker Fannin, Jr., the camp opened in the spring of 1943 and was formally dedicated in September. The main purpose of the camp was an Infantry Replacement Training Center (IRTC), and during its peak operation as many as 35,000 to 40,000 men were trained every four months to replace troops killed, wounded, or recalled from the war's battlefronts. In addition to the infantry training center, the camp also included a German prisoner of war facility from 1943 to 1946, and a Women's Army Corps (WAC) installation in 1944. Camp Fannin had a tremendous impact on the local economy, employing about 3,000 civilian workers and giving rise to numerous new businesses catering to the military trade. Many of the camp's facilities were later acquired by business interests and are still in use. Soldiers stationed here, as well as at least one former German prisoner, returned to East Texas to settle after the war.
 
Erected
Camp Fannin Marker (center) seen along US 271 southwest bound image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, September 13, 2012
2. Camp Fannin Marker (center) seen along US 271 southwest bound
1989 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 7708.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, World II.
 
Location. 32° 25.793′ N, 95° 11.747′ W. Marker is in Tyler, Texas, in Smith County. Marker is on U.S. 271 near Hillcrest Road (County Road 3177), on the right when traveling west. Located between Farm to Market Road 3270 and Chapman Road (County Road 334). Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Tyler TX 75708, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Camp Fannin Internment Camp (here, next to this marker); Camp Fannin, Texas (approx. 0.9 miles away); Our Land - Our Heritage (approx. one mile away); Nicholas Wren 1807-1859 (approx. 2.8 miles away); Harris Creek Cemetery (approx. 2.8 miles away); Scouts of Texas Army (approx. 2.8 miles away); Elisha Everett Lott (approx. 3.1 miles away); Shamburger Cemetery (approx. 4.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tyler.
 
Also see . . .  Texas State Historical Association - Camp Fannin,. an infantry-replacement training center of World War II, was located ten miles northeast of Tyler. The reservation was a wooded, hilly site of more than 14,000 acres named for James Walker Fannin, Jr. (Submitted on October 30, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.) 
 
Camp Fannin Marker (center) and Camp Fannin Internment Camp (right) image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, September 13, 2012
3. Camp Fannin Marker (center) and Camp Fannin Internment Camp (right)
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 28, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 28, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 618 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on October 29, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.   3. submitted on October 30, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.
Paid Advertisement
Mar. 2, 2021