Houston in Harris County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First White House of the Republic of Texas
First White House
Republic of Texas
Here dwelt President Sam Houston
from November, 1837 to December, 1838
and President Mirabeau B. Lamar,
from December, 1838 to October, 1839
Erected 1936 by The State of Texas. (Marker Number 10664.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments marker series.
Location. 29° 45.676′ N, 95° 21.683′ W. Marker is in Houston, Texas, in Harris County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street and Preston Street, on the right when traveling north on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 405 Main St, Houston TX 77002, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. State National Bank Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Republic Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Sweeney, Coombs & Fredericks Building (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Houston Bar Association Pillot Building (about 400 feet away); Harris County 1910 Courthouse (about 400 feet away); Old Market Square (about 600 feet away); Former Site of Capitol, Republic of Texas (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Houston.
Categories. • Notable Places •
More. Search the internet for First White House of the Republic of Texas.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 29, 2019. This page originally submitted on November 13, 2012, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 763 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on November 13, 2012, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. 2. submitted on September 29, 2019, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. 3. submitted on November 13, 2012, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.