Patterson Park in Baltimore, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Civil War Camp and Hospital
Hampstead Hill, where the park is located, held a fortification called Rodgers' Bastion during the War of 1812 when British forces threatened Baltimore. Afterward, the area became a favorite of city residents for picnics and excursions. In 1827, landowner William Patterson offered six acres to the city for a park; the government purchased another 29 acres from Patterson's heirs in 1850. On July 23, 1853, 20,000 people turned out for the park's grand opening.
After the Civil War, several designers including George A. Frederick, Charles H. Latrobe, and the Olmsted firm had a hand in crafting a new version of the park. Today, Patterson Park preserves much of its picturesque Late Victorian landscape
Patterson Park, as well as almost every other public park and plot of open space in Baltimore, became a hospital during the Civil War. Especially after the Battles of Antietam (September 17, 1862) and Gettyburg (July 1863), thousands of Union and Confederate wounded flooded into the city. Fort McHenry's post hospital treated many of the Confederate officers wounded during "Pickett's Charge" on July 3, 1863. Several Maryland relief organizations were founded in Baltimore to help treat the wounded closer to the battlefields.
Erected by Maryland Civil War Trails.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil.
Location. 39° 17.413′ N, 76° 35.029′ W. Marker is in Patterson Park in Baltimore, Maryland. Marker is on Patterson Park Avenue. Marker is in Patterson Park near the Pagoda. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Baltimore MD 21224, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Prelude to War (a few steps from this marker); Show of Strength (within shouting distance of this marker); The Star-Spangled Banner Centennial Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); Notre Dame Convent (approx. 0.3 miles away); Spanish American War Monument (approx. 0.4 miles away); Recinoso (approx. 0.4 miles away); General Casimir PulaskiCaulkers' Houses (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Patterson Park.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 17, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 16, 2012, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 753 times since then and 40 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 16, 2012, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. 3. submitted on June 3, 2018, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. 4. submitted on December 16, 2012, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.