Houston in Harris County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
James L. Autry House
Mississippi native James L. Autry (1859-1920) moved to Corsicana in 1876. There he studied law and held civic offices at the time of the first oil discoveries in Texas. He was chief counsel for the Texas Co. (later Texaco) and a pioneer in the new field of petroleum law. Autry commissioned Sanguinet and Staats to design this home, which was constructed in 1912. The neoclassical design features a double balustraded gallery and large fluted Doric columns. Also prominent are a port-cochere and fernery (sunroom), and a hipped Ludowici tile roof. The rear garage has upstairs servants quarters.
Marker is the property of the State of Texas
Erected 2010 by Texas Historical Commission.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1876.
Location. 29° 44.609′ N, 95° 22.961′ W. Marker is in Houston, Texas, in Harris County. Marker is on Courtlandt Place west of Bagby Street, on the right when traveling east. This marker Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Houston TX 77006, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Courtlandt Place (within shouting distance of this marker); League of United Latin American Citizens, Council 60 (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Waldo Mansion (approx. ¼ mile away); Trinity Episcopal Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); DePelchin Faith Home (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Sheridan Apartments (approx. half a mile away); Houston Fire Station No. 7 (approx. half a mile away); San Jacinto High School (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Houston.
Regarding James L. Autry House. Courtlandt Place is a small gated community comprised of a single one block long private street near Downtown Houston. It was originally created for and populated by Houston's elite. A total of 17 mansion-like homes line the two sides of the street. Virtually every home has a historical marker and eleven of the 17 are in the National Register of Historic Places.
I have only photographed and taken coordinates of this one home as representative of the rest on this historic street.
Also see . . .
1. Courtlandt Place Historic District. Handbook of Texas website entry (Submitted on January 23, 2013, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas.)
2. Founder’s Foresight Key to Courtlandt Place Preservation . Houston TX PDF (Submitted on January 23, 2013, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas.)
3. Courtlandt Place History and Culture. City of Houston website entry (Submitted on February 28, 2022, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.)
Credits. This page was last revised on February 28, 2022. It was originally submitted on January 23, 2013, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 630 times since then and 33 times this year. Last updated on January 25, 2013, by Keith S Smith of West Chester, Pennsylvania. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 23, 2013, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.