Petersburg, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Battle of Petersburg
to Pocahontas Bridge
April 25, 1781
Here was fought the opening engagement of the decisive campaign of the revolution. 1000 American militia under Steuben, Muhlenberg, Dick and House opposed 2500 British under Phillips, Arnold and Abercrombie.
Erected by Frances Bland Randolph Chapter D.A.R. July 1927.
Erected 1927 by Frances Bland Randolph Chapter D.A.R.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Revolutionary. In addition, it is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR) series list. A significant historical month for this entry is April 1734.
Location. 37° 13.562′ N, 77° 23.305′ W. Marker is in Petersburg, Virginia. Marker is on Crater Road (U.S. 460), on the right when traveling north. Marker is located in front of the Blandford Cemetery. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Petersburg VA 23803, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Blandford Church and Cemetery (here, next to this marker); a different marker also named Battle of Petersburg (here, next to this Blandford Church (within shouting distance of this marker); People's Memorial Cemetery (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Battle of the Crater - Covered Way (approx. 0.4 miles away); a different marker also named Battle of Petersburg (approx. 0.4 miles away); a different marker also named Battle of Petersburg (approx. 0.6 miles away); Massachusetts (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Petersburg.
Also see . . . Battle of Petersburg. City of Petersburg. (Submitted on March 24, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.)
Credits. This page was last revised on February 2, 2023. It was originally submitted on March 24, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,499 times since then and 50 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 24, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.