Florence in Hampshire County, Massachusetts — The American Northeast (New England)
Entrepreneurs and Philanthropists
Alfred T. Lilly was brought in by Hill to become the Treasurer of the Nonotuck Silk Company and made a fortune of this own. In 1888, he built the Lilly Library for the town of Florence. A few years before he had given the money to build the Lilly Hall of Science at Smith College which was dedicated in 1886. It was Lilly who provided the endowment
The spirit of the abolitionist utopian community lived on in the Free Congregational Society of Florence. Organized in 1866 by Samuel Hill and 34 others, it was a freethinking religious body far outside the orthodox beliefs of mainstream denominations. Its first resident speaker was Charles C. Burleigh followed by Elizabeth Powell who later became Dean of Swarthmore College. The growth of the Society prompted Hill to finance the construction of Cosmian Hall in 1874. Its ample auditorium filled to hear speakers such as Ralph Waldo Emerson, Elizabeth Cady Stanton, Frederick Douglas and Julia Ward Howe. It was demolished in 1948.
Erected by Historic Northampton.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Abolition & Underground RR • Arts, Letters, Music • Education • Industry & Commerce. In addition, it is included in the Elizabeth Cady Stanton series list.
Location. 42° 20.117′ N, 72° 40.4′ W. Marker is in Florence, Massachusetts, in Hampshire County. Marker is at the intersection of Park Street and Meadow Street on Park Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Florence MA 01062, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow fliesThe Florence Eagles (here, next to this marker); The Anti-Slavery Community (here, next to this marker); Florence Manufacturing (here, next to this marker); Town Center (approx. 2.4 miles away); Upper Main Street (approx. 2.4 miles away); West Main Street (approx. 2.4 miles away); Pulaski Park (approx. 2.4 miles away); Brigadier General Casimir Pulaski (approx. 2.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Florence.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on June 8, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 600 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on June 8, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.