Oakland in Garrett County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The First Garrett County Courthouse
The modest two-story courthouse served the needs of Garrett County for thirty-one years, until the present courthouse was constructed. On may 12, 1907 the contract for the new courthouse was awarded to Mr. W. A. Liller of Keyser, West Virginia, his bid being $60,962. Work on the new courthouse began in May, 1907 and was completed in November, 1908. The original courthouse was later enlarged and became Oakland High School, continuing as such until 1953 when Southern High School was built. The old building then served as offices for the Garrett County Board of Education for a number of years, and was torn down in 2002.
The original courthouse was located one block north of this marker sign, on the northeast corner of Fourth and Green Streets.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Government & Politics • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Maryland, Town of Oakland series list. A significant historical month for this entry is March 1994.
Location. 39° 24.453′ N, 79° 24.385′ W. Marker is in Oakland, Maryland, in Garrett County. Marker is on E. Alder Street, on the right when traveling west. Marker is on the E. Alder Street side of the Garrett County Courthouse.Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Oakland MD 21550, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Garrett County Pilgrimage (a few steps from this marker); Cobbler Shop (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Glory (within shouting distance of this marker); In Memory of All Who Fought For Our Country (within shouting distance of this marker); Garrett County Civil War Veterans (within shouting distance of this marker); To the Men and Women of Garrett County who fought honorably in Southeast Asia (within shouting distance of this marker); Oakland Veterans Park (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Rasche Blacksmith Shop (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Oakland.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 13, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 29, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 384 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on July 13, 2020, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on September 29, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.