Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Atlas District in Washington, District of Columbia — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Brickyards to Buildings

Hub, Home, Heart

 

— Greater H Street NE Heritage Trail —

 
Brickyards to Buildings Marker image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, September 29, 2012
1. Brickyards to Buildings Marker
Inscription.  The Trinidad neighborhood, named for W.W. Corcoran's original estate, got its start in the 1890s after the Washington Brick Machine Company used up the clay here making bricks. With H Street filling in with houses and businesses, the company sold land for housing lots. The sturdy rowhouses that followed originally sold to white families, many of whom walked to work on H Street. Once Washington Brick closed, the American Baseball League built a short-lived ballpark on its site.

The streets to your right predate Trinidad's rowhouses. Around 1900 John Fisher operated a wholesale candy business in his home at 1008 Florida Avenue. Sons John and Edward Fisher continued the family business which lasted until 1941

The Arthur Nock family owned the large house nearby at 1001 K Street. After hardware salesman Arthur died in 1930, his widow Louise took in boarders. During the Great Depression (1929-1941), hungry drifters alerted by a mark on the back door left by an earlier hobo, knew to knock for something to eat.

Between 1945 and 1960, many white Washingtonians left the city. Some wanted newer, suburban-style housing. Others,
William W. Corcoran image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, September 29, 2012
2. William W. Corcoran
William Wilson Corcoran, 1867. The 1859 Boschke map shows Corcoran's Trinidad estate and Kendall Green (later Gallaudet University).
after 1954, were unwilling to send their children to newly desegregated DC schools. Like many older neighborhoods, Trinidad changed very quickly from white to African American.

Construction foreman Charles "Bob" Martin and family moved to Trinidad Avenue in 1948, and railroad dining car steward Joseph Strowder and his wife Korea arrived on Queen Street in 1950. They joined other newcomers to create community, leading DC's first African American Campfire Girls, a Boy Scout troop, the Trinidad Drum and Bugle Corps, and Mount Olivet Heights Civic Association.

To reach Sign 10, proceed on Florida Avenue, turn right on 13th Street, and then turn left on H Street.
 
Erected 2012 by Cultural Tourism DC. (Marker Number 9.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African AmericansIndustry & CommerceNotable PlacesSports. In addition, it is included in the Greater H Street Heritage Trail series list.
 
Location. 38° 54.217′ N, 76° 59.555′ W. Marker is in the Atlas District in Washington, District of Columbia. Marker is at the intersection of Florida Avenue Northeast and 10th Street Northeast, on the right when traveling east on Florida Avenue Northeast. Touch for map
American League Park image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, September 29, 2012
3. American League Park
Washington Senators vs. Philadelphia Phillies at American League Park northeast of Trinidad and Florida Aves., 1905.
. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1035 10th Street Northeast, Washington DC 20002, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Education for All (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Leonard M. Elstad (about 700 feet away); Laurent Clerc (approx. 0.2 miles away); Thomas Hopkins Gallaudet (approx. 0.2 miles away); Chapel Hall (approx. 0.2 miles away); Edward Miner Gallaudet (approx. 0.2 miles away); Site of the Rose Cottage (approx. 0.2 miles away); Life on H Street (approx. ¼ mile away).
 
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Greater H Street NE Heritage Trail
 
John Fisher image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, September 29, 2012
4. John Fisher
Candy wholesaler John Fisher plays with his dog, upper right, in the backyard of his home and business at 1008 Florida Ave., above, around 1910. Granddaughter Elise can be seen in the window just left of the truck's windshield.
Louise and Arthur Nock image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, September 29, 2012
5. Louise and Arthur Nock
Louise and Arthur Nock of 1001 K St. Above, a happy group of Nock relatives poses alongside the large family home, 1928.
Trinidad Boys Club Team image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, September 29, 2012
6. Trinidad Boys Club Team
The Trinidad Boys Club team practices before winning the 1948 citywide football championship.
Royal Family Block Club party image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, September 29, 2012
7. Royal Family Block Club party
Web Elementary School's Dennis Hawkins and young admirers at the Royal Family Block Club's 26th annual block party on Queen St., 1998.
Mount Olivet Heights Civic Association image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, September 29, 2012
8. Mount Olivet Heights Civic Association
Members of the Mount Olivet Heights Civic Association at the home of Georgia Byrd on Owen Pl., about 1960. President George Boyd is standing at left.
Back of Marker image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, September 29, 2012
9. Back of Marker
Campfire Girls parade for voter registration image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, September 29, 2012
10. Campfire Girls parade for voter registration
Campfire Girls parade on Trinidad Ave. for voter registration in 1964, the first time Washingtonians could vote in a presidential election since the city's founding.
Map of the H Street Heritage Trail image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, September 29, 2012
11. Map of the H Street Heritage Trail
Intersection of 10th and Florida Avenue image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, September 29, 2012
12. Intersection of 10th and Florida Avenue
Brickyards to Buildings Marker image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, September 29, 2012
13. Brickyards to Buildings Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 4, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 6, 2012, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 637 times since then and 26 times this year. Last updated on February 11, 2014, by A. Taylor of Laurel, Maryland. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13. submitted on October 6, 2012, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Oct. 27, 2020