Winchester, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Braddock Street Methodist Church
"To Serve the Present Age" - Charles Wesley
From Court House to Church
Thirty-two charter members met July 24, 1858, in the Frederick County Court House and were organized as a congregation of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, Virginia Conference.
The first church building was erected 1858-59 on this site near the corner of Braddock and Wolfe. The first service was the celebrating of Christmas, 1858, in the basement at the partially completed church. The church building was dedicated July 1859.
Civil War and Recovery
After the Battle of Kernstown, March 23, 1862, the wounded were brought to the church which continued to be used as a hospital by occupying forces throughout the war. Damaged extensively, it was partially repaired [not legible]
A Church for the 20th Century
During the Post-War Era the church and Sunday School membership grew steadily, demanding more room. The original structures were remodeled and enlarged from a practically new sanctuary (1898), a Sunday School House was built (1904), and the Golden [not legible] Bible Class remodeled the sanctuary basement
In time these buildings have been replaced by structures extending west-ward to Washington Street within four blocks of "the [not legible] where Bishop Francis Asbury had preached [not legible], June 8, 1786.
Present buildings Braddock Street Methodist Church:
Education Building -1958
Sanctuary - 1974
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the Francis Asbury, Traveling Methodist Preacher ⛪ series list. A significant historical date for this entry is March 23, 1838.
Location. This marker has been replaced by another marker nearby. It was located near 39° 10.999′ N, 78° 10.06′ W. Marker was in Winchester, Virginia. Marker was at the intersection of South Braddock Street (U.S. 11) and Wolfe Street, on the right when traveling south on South Braddock Street. Touch for map. Marker was in this post office area: Winchester VA 22601, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. Braddock Street United Methodist Church (here, next to this marker); Washington Becomes a Burgess for Frederick County (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Washington’s Office (about 300 feet away); Braddock Cannon (about 300 feet away); Cannon Used by George Washington (about 300 feet George Washington (about 300 feet away); Peggy Wolfe McKee, Mary Bruce Glaize, Martha Wolfe (about 400 feet away); James R. Wilkins, Sr. (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Winchester.
More about this marker. On the right side of the marker is a photograph of the older sanctuary.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. This marker has been replaced by the linked marker.
Also see . . . Braddoc Street Methodist Church. Page offering a short history of the church. (Submitted on April 25, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Credits. This page was last revised on May 28, 2020. It was originally submitted on April 25, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,249 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 25, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.