Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Garner in Wake County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Garner Historic District

 
 
Garner Historic District Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, June 8, 2014
1. Garner Historic District Marker
Inscription.  “In 1851 landowners in the St. Mary’s District of Wake County witnessed the arrival of the railroad. The first business was operated by Henry Fort, a former slave, farmer and cabinetmaker. A post office was established in 1878. The General Assembly incorporated the town in 1883, then known as Garner’s Station, but in 1901 Garner’s Station incorporation was repealed. By 1896 the population was 250. Garner Depot was constructed in 1902 to service passengers and became a shipping point for baled cotton. In 1905 the town was reincorporated as the Town of Garner. The artesian well is located approximately five feed north of this plaque. The town’s corporate limits were south, east and west of this well and north to the railroad tracks.” Downtown Garner Historic District was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1989.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Political SubdivisionsRailroads & Streetcars. A significant historical year for this entry is 1851.
 
Location. 35° 42.407′ N, 78° 36.319′ W. Marker is in Garner, North Carolina, in Wake County. Marker
Garner Historic District Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, June 8, 2014
2. Garner Historic District Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
is at the intersection of East Main Street and Rand Mill Road on East Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Garner NC 27529, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Fall of Raleigh (approx. 4.1 miles away); Mount Hope Cemetery (approx. 4˝ miles away); Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee (approx. 4.7 miles away); Leonard Medical School (approx. 4.8 miles away); Estey Hall (approx. 4.8 miles away); James H. Young (approx. 4.9 miles away); Shaw University (approx. 4.9 miles away); Governor’s Palace of North Carolina (approx. 4.9 miles away).
 
Regarding Garner Historic District. Southern Railway’s named passenger train the Carolina Special between Goldsboro, Asheville and points in the Midwest stopped in Garner, according to 1925 timetables. It was the first stop after Raleigh on the way to Goldsboro.
 
Additional keywords. North Carolina Railroad, Southern Railway
 
A Portion of the Garner Historic District image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, June 8, 2014
3. A Portion of the Garner Historic District
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 28, 2021. It was originally submitted on June 27, 2014, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 359 times since then and 38 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on June 27, 2014, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=74876

Paid Advertisement
Sep. 28, 2021