Phoenix in Baltimore County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Maj. Harry Gilmor's Childhood Home
— Early's 1864 Attack on Washington —
In June 1864, Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee and Gen .Jubal A. Early’s corps from the Richmond battlefields to the Shenandoah Valley to counter Union Gen. David Hunter’s army. After driving Hunter into West Virginia, Early invaded Maryland to attack Washington D.C., draw Union troops from Richmond, and release Confederate prisoners held at Point Lookout. On July 9, Early ordered Gen. Bradley T. Johnson’s cavalry brigade eastward to free the prisoners. The next day, Johnson sent Maj. Harry Gilmer’s regiment to raid the Baltimore area. Union Gen. Lew Wallace delayed Early at the Battle of Monocacy on Jul 9. Federal reinforcements soon strengthened the capital’s defenses. Early attacked there near Fort Stevens on July 11-12 and then withdrew to the Shenandoah Valley with the Federals in pursuit. He stopped them at Cool Spring on July 17-18. Despite failing to take Washington or free prisoners, Early succeeded in diverting Federal resources.
On July 10, 1864, Confederate Maj. Harry W. Gilmor (1838-1883) surprised his parents with a brief visit to Gen Ellen, his boyhood home which stood
Early had detached Gen. Bradley T. Johnson’s brigade, which included Gilmor’s command—the 2nd Maryland Cavalry Battalion—and Johnson had sent Gilmore to the Baltimore area to cut communications and transportation lines.
The house, which resembled a castle, was a tribute to Gilmor’s Scottish ancestors, who had immigrated to Maryland in 1769. Gilmor’s father, Robert Gilmor III, visited Scotland as a young man and stayed at Abbotsford, the estate of famed novelist Sir Walter Scott. When Gilmore returned to Maryland, he engaged architect Andrew Jackson Davis to design a dwelling (ca. 1832) modeled on Abbotsford. He named his property Glen Ellen after his wife, Ellen Ward Gilmor, with whom he had nine sons and two daughters.
The main house, The Castle, contained a circular ballroom with large bay windows, as well as numerous bedrooms and an extensive library. Ornate moldings and elaborate woodwork graced the house throughout. It remained in the family until 1883, when the construction of Loch Raven Reservoir ultimately rendered it uninhabitable. Parts were removed, and the remainder fell into ruin. If still intact, the estate
(lower left) Glen Ellen, architect’s rendering Courtesy Baltimore County Public Library
(upper center) Maj. Harry Gilmor Library of Congress
(upper right) Glen Ellen - Courtesy Baltimore County Public Library
Erected by Maryland Civil War Trails.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Maryland Civil War Trails marker series.
Location. 39° 28.042′ N, 76° 32.838′ W. Marker is in Phoenix, Maryland, in Baltimore County. Marker is at the intersection of Dulaney Valley Road and Loch Raven Drive, on the left when traveling east on Dulaney Valley Road. The marker is on the grounds of The Grille at Peerce's formerly Peerce's Plantation. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 12460 Dulaney Valley Road, Phoenix MD 21131, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Maj. Gen. Isaac Ridgeway Trimble, C.S.A. (approx. 1.1 miles away); “The Eagle’s Nest” (approx. 1.6 miles away); “The Valley of Jehosophat” (approx. 2.6 miles away); “Quinn” (approx. Northampton Furnace (approx. 3.2 miles away); Quarters #2 & 3 (approx. 3.8 miles away); The Lower House (approx. 3.8 miles away); The View from Below (approx. 3.8 miles away).
Categories. • War, US Civil •
More. Search the internet for Glen Ellen.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 12, 2014, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,047 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 12, 2014, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on July 21, 2014, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.