St. Catharines in Niagara Regional Municipality, Ontario — Central Canada
St. Paul Street United Church
Exterior designated 1990. Of Italianate styling constructed in red brick (favoured by Methodist Church) between 1861 and 1863. Modeled after the Grace Methodist Church in Buffalo.
Significant features: round-headed windows, corbelled brickwork trim at various levels, pinnacles at the building corners, the centre tower and tall central spire and hooded dormers on three sides of the steeple for ventilation. Also significant is the many years of religious worship in this particular building and even longer on this property.
Our Honoured Dead. In memory of the men of this church who gave their lives in the Great War 1914-1918. "Their name liveth for evermore."
Topics. This memorial is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • War, World I. A significant historical year for this entry is 1861.
Location. 43° 9.622′ N, 79° 14.475′ W. Marker is in St. Catharines, Ontario, in Niagara Regional Municipality. Memorial is on St. Paul Street (County Route 81) 0.3 kilometers south of Geneva Street (County Route 46), on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 366 St Paul Street, St Catharines, Ontario L2R 3N2, Canada. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. St. Catharines (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); Private Alexander Watson (approx. half a kilometer away); The First Welland Canal 1824-1833 (approx. half a kilometer away); The Founding of St. Catharines (approx. half a kilometer away); City Hall 1937 (approx. half a kilometer away); BME Church (approx. half a kilometer away); Harriet Tubman (approx. 0.6 kilometers away); Salem Chapel, British Methodist Episcopal Church (approx. 0.6 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Catharines.
Regarding St. Paul Street United Church. This is now the Silver Spire United Church.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 27, 2019. It was originally submitted on August 16, 2014, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. This page has been viewed 283 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on August 16, 2014, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.