Laramie in Albany County, Wyoming — The American West (Mountains)
Founded in 1868 upon the arrival of the Union Pacific Railroad, Laramie was named after the fur trader Jacques LaRamie. The first female jurors served here in 1870 after Wyoming Territory, in 1869, for the first time in history, gave women full rights of suffrage. Humorist Bill Nye founded his Boomerang newspaper in 1881, and the University of Wyoming opened its doors in 1887. At the south edge of the city lie the ruins of Fort Sanders, 1866-1882. West of the city can be seen the first intermountain ranch (1869) and the ruts left by Ben Holladay's stage coaches on the old Overland Trail.
Erected 1964 by Wyoming State Archives and Historical Department and Wyoming State Historical Society.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1868.
Location. 41° 18.49′ N, 105° 35.772′ W. Marker is in Laramie, Wyoming, in Albany County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of South 1st Street and East Kearney Street, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Laramie WY 82072, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers First Woman Jury (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Franchise (approx. 0.2 miles away); Laramie Timeline (approx. 0.2 miles away); 150 N. 2nd Street (approx. 0.4 miles away); First Ladies (approx. half a mile away); a different marker also named Laramie (approx. 0.6 miles away); Excavation Site: Basement Entrance to the Warden's House (approx. 0.7 miles away); Excavation Site: Ice House (approx. Ύ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Laramie.
More about this marker. This marker is located next to the Union Pacific Depot in Depot Park.
Also see . . . Laramie Plains Museum. Museum website homepage:
Like most towns in southern Wyoming, Laramie began as an "end of the tracks" town. As the tracks approached, numerous tent houses and cabins were built so that a fair-sized population was in place when the first train came in. (Submitted on September 2, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.)
Credits. This page was last revised on February 8, 2022. It was originally submitted on September 2, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 517 times since then and 50 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 2, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.