Hookerton in Greene County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Confederate Crossing and Headquarters
— Potter's Raid —
On July 18, 1863, Union Gen. Edward E. Potter led infantry and cavalry from New Bern to destroy the Wilmington and Weldon Railroad bridge at Rocky Mount. The infantry feinted toward Kinston and returned to New Bern. Potter raided Greenville, then sent part of his cavalry to Rocky Mount and occupied Tarboro. The raiders damaged or destroyed bridges, trains, munitions, and mills before returning to New Bern on July 23, but the Confederates restored rail service by Aug. 1.
In July 1863, Union Gen. Edward E. Potter, returning to New Bern after his raid, had his troops set fire to the Hookerton Bridge as they made their way across Greene County. The bridges at Hookerton and nearby Haw Landing were essential crossing points over Contentnea Creek for Confederate troops in eastern North Carolina.
Confederate Gen. James J. Pettigrew established his brigade headquarter here in April 1863, after unsuccessful attempts to remove the Union forces from New Bern and Washington, North Carolina. Pettigrew’s brigade included the 11th, 26th, 44th, 47th, and 52nd North Carolina Infantry Regiments.
Capt. Henry A. Hubbard, 12th New York Cavalry, who was wounded and captured during Potter’s Raid, was released from a Confederate prisoner of war camp in September 1864, and rejoined this unit. On April 8, 1865, Confederate troops near here shot Hubbard and his orderly in an ambush. Hubbard escaped to his camp but died about eight hours later, just a day before Gen. Robert E. Lee surrendered his army at Appomattox Court House.
The locally prominent Hooker family founded Hookerton, known as Caswell’s Landing before the Revolutionary War, here on family land. Hookerton was incorporated in 1817.
(lower left) Potter's Raid from New Bern to Rocky Mount and Tarboro (Inset) Gen. Edward F. Potter Courtesy U.S. Army Military History Institute
(bottom center) Gen. James Johnston Pettigrew.
(upper right) Col. Henry K. Burgwyn - Courtesy Virginia Military Institute Archives
Erected by North Carolina Civil War Trails.
Topics and series. Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the North Carolina Civil War Trails series list.
Location. 35° 25.473′ N, 77° 35.405′ W. Marker is in Hookerton, North Carolina, in Greene County. Marker is at the intersection of East Main Street (State Highway 123) and S William Hooker Drive, on the right when traveling east on East Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 227 E Main Street, Hookerton NC 28538, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Hull Road (approx. 4.8 miles away); Grimsley Baptist Church (approx. 4.8 miles away); Tuscarora War (approx. 5 miles away); Snow Hill (approx. 5 miles away); Scuffleton Bridge (approx. 6.3 miles away); Wheat Swamp Church (approx. 6.8 miles away); Blount Hall (approx. 8˝ miles away); Nooherooka (approx. 8.6 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 5, 2014, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 633 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 5, 2014, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.