Maumee in Lucas County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
A Strategic Location
Besides preventing a U.S. advance on British-controlled Detroit, the fort was strategically located to control the waterway to the south, allow reinforcements and supplies to arrive by river from the north, and embolden the American Indian confederacy's resistance to American settlers.
After the Battle of Fallen Timbers in August 1794, the British continued to occupy Fort Miamis until peaceably handing it over to the Americans in July 1796 as a result of the Jay Treaty. Americans then occupied the fort until abandoning it in 1798. British troops reoccupied the Fort Miamis site in 1813 when they were battling American forces at Fort Meigs, a large U.S. supply depot about two miles upriver.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts or Castles • Native Americans • War of 1812 • Wars, US Indian.
Location. 41° 34.328′ N, 83° Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1900 River Road, Maumee OH 43537, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Running a Gauntlet (here, next to this marker); Fort Miamis During the War of 1812 (here, next to this marker); British Betray Indian Allies (within shouting distance of this marker); Fort Miamis (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); 41st Regiment of Foot - War of 1812 / Private Patrick Russell (about 400 feet away); a different marker also named Fort Miamis (about 400 feet away); Fallen Timbers Battlefield and Fort Miamis National Historic Site (about 400 feet away); The Indian Wars (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Maumee.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 8, 2014, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 410 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on September 8, 2014, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.