Woodbridge in Prince William County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Erected 1958 by The Tidewater Oil Company.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Revolutionary. A significant historical year for this entry is 1658.
Location. Marker is missing. It was located near 38° 36.385′ N, 77° 17.556′ W. Marker was in Woodbridge, Virginia, in Prince William County. Marker was on Jefferson Davis Highway (U.S. 1) south of Neabsco Road and Cardinal Drive, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker was in this post office area: Woodbridge VA 22191, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. Neabsco Iron Works (approx. 0.2 miles away); Neabsco Ironworks & Mills (approx. 0.7 miles away); Julie J. Metz Amphitheater (approx. 0.8 miles away); a different marker also named Leesylvania (approx. 0.8 miles away); Confederate Winter Camps (approx. 0.8 miles away); War in the Chesapeake (approx. 0.8 miles away); Collo. Richard Blackburn (approx. 0.9 miles away); Stones, but No Bones (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Woodbridge.
Regarding “Leesylvania”. The mansion burned in the late 1700s. Leesylvania State Park, on 500 wooded acres bounded on three sides by water and bysected by the railroad from Richmond to Washington, is nearby at the end of Neabsco Road.
Also see . . .
1. Leesylvania State Park. A history by James R. Arnold, published in 1985. (Submitted on December 19, 2006.)
2. The History of the Prince William County Waterfront. 1998 illustrated monograph by Debrarae Karnes. (Large PDF file on slow server. Be patient and document will appear.) (Submitted on December 19, 2006.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on December 19, 2006, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,644 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 19, 2006, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.