Near St. Peter in Nicollet County, Minnesota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Living close to the land, they learned how to read nature's signs and developed an intimate understanding of the habitats and growth cycles of plants and animals. The Dakota word fot this is Ecakensdonyapi (Ee-cha-kay-doa-stod-yah-pi) — knowing naturally.
This area was the traditional homeland of two bands of the eastern Dakota, the Sisseton and Wahpeton. Families from the two bands often blended, and there was a good deal of interchange between the villages. The largest Sisseton population lived on islands in Swan Lake, about 10 miles west of this spot. There they were safe from enemy attack and surrounded by a rich variety of food sources.
Traverse des Sioux
Erected by the Minnesota Historical Society.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Native Americans. In addition, it Minnesota Historical Society series list.
Location. 44° 21.062′ N, 93° 57.005′ W. Marker is near St. Peter, Minnesota, in Nicollet County. Marker can be reached from North Minnesota Avenue (U.S. 169) near Dodd Avenue (State Highway 22), on the right when traveling north. Marker is along an interpretive trail that is adjacent to the Nicollet County Historical Society Treaty Site History Center. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1851 North Minnesota Avenue, Saint Peter MN 56082, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Ministering to the Dakota (within shouting distance of this marker); Archaeology (within shouting distance of this marker); Land-Seas (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); "Only a Memory Now" (about 400 feet away); The Rush for Land (about 400 feet away); Welcome to Traverse des Sioux (about 600 feet away); A Minority in Their Homeland (about 700 feet away); Fur Trader Louis Provencalle (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Peter.
More about this marker. caption: Seth Eastman, Indians Spearing Fish Three Miles below Fort Snelling, 1848
Also see . . .
1. Traverse des Sioux. History. Minnesota Historical Society. "For thousands of years, Traverse des Sioux was a crossroads and meeting place.... The town of Traverse des Sioux soon grew up around the site with more than 70 buildings, including five taverns, two hotels and several churches. In 1856, however, nearby St. Peter was chosen as the county seat and by the late 1860s, nothing was left of the once-booming town of Traverse des Sioux." (Submitted on October 12, 2014.)
2. Nicollet County Historical Society. Traverse des Sioux. The Dakota Indians called this place Oiyuwege, meaning "the place of crossing." French explorers called it Traverse des Sioux, or "crossing place of the Sioux." (Submitted on October 12, 2014.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 12, 2014, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 303 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 12, 2014, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin.