Near Pittsview in Russell County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Originally known as Vilula, this community was formed about 1848 as a stage coach stop. For many years the only post office in the central part of the county was located here. William A. Lester served as the first postmaster. The Villula Methodist Episcopal Church South was organized about 1850 and served the community until 1900, when it was relocated to Pittsview. The church and a two-room schoolhouse were once situated at the front entrance of Villula Cemetery. Of special note is "The Bird's Nest," constructed by Colonel Lyman Martin about 1858. This historic house was operated for many years by Mrs. Helen Jeorg and was known far and wide as Villula Tea Gardens.
Erected 2002 by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and Friends of Villula.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Education • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 32° 15.643′ N, 85° 9.709′ W. Marker is near Pittsview, Alabama, in Russell County. Marker can be reached from Old Seale HighwayTouch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5233 Old Seale Highway, Pittsview AL 36871, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Holland McTyeire Smith (approx. 2.4 miles away); Old Russell County Courthouse (approx. 2.6 miles away); Early Russell County and the Town of Seale (approx. 2.6 miles away); The Second Creek War in Russell County (approx. 2.6 miles away); Creek Settlements in Russell County (approx. 2.6 miles away); Seale United Methodist Church (approx. 2.7 miles away); John Bacon McDonald (approx. 3.1 miles away); Indian Trail (approx. 6 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 19, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 591 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 19, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.