Pittsburgh in Allegheny County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Three Rivers Heritage Trail
Near this site in 1783, James Robinson, the first permanent European settler on this side of the river, built a log house and a ferry boat landing. Four years later, a new town called Allegheny was laid out as an Engilsh village with a town square surrounded by a commons. After the Pennsylvania Canal from Philadelphia was built through the town in 1829, Allegheny evolved from an agricultural village to a thriving industrial city. Red brick cotton mills, an iron works, and other factories lined the riverfront.
After the Civil War, the citizens of Allegheny transformed their village commons into a beautiful, landscaped park system. While Pittsburgh was the "Smoky City," Allegheny was the "City of Parks" with over 100 acres of parklands. The Allegheny Commons became one of the first public parks west of the Allegheny Mountains. Designed in 1869, the park continues to exhibit a beautiful urban landscape design.
Pittsburgh and Allegheny City were twin
Erected by Pennsylvania DCNR, Steel Industry Heritage Corporation, City of Pittsburgh, Koppers.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers • Waterways & Vessels.
Location. 40° 26.819′ N, 80° 0.17′ W. Marker is in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, in Allegheny County. Marker can be reached from North Shore Trail. Located on Pittsburgh's North Shore Trail on the North Side. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Pittsburgh PA 15212, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Allegheny Cotton Mill Strikes (a few steps from this marker); "Piazza Lavoro" and "Mythic Source," 1984 (within shouting distance of this marker); "The Forks," 1984 (within shouting distance of this marker); "Pittsburgh Variations," 1984 (within shouting distance of this marker); "The Great One" (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Frederick J Osterling Office & Studio (about 700 feet away); Timber Court (about 700 feet away); Seventh Street Bridge (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pittsburgh.
Also see . . . Allegheny City Society. (Submitted on November 3, 2014, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 3, 2014, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 355 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 3, 2014, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.