Sandusky in Erie County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Sandusky / Erie County
Sandusky. • Early Indian village of Ogontz; also French & British trading post. • 1816 – platted as town of Portland; English version of Indian name, “San Dus Tee,” adopted in 1818. • First Connecticut settlers arrived in 1817. • 1848 – influx of refugees from German political revolution. • Home of Jay Cooke who financed Civil War. • Strategic area in War of 1812. • Perry’s Victory, Battle of Lake Erie, in 1813 won American sovereignty of Great Lakes.
As part of “The Firelands of Ohio” Erie County had its origin in the Revolutionary War. Connecticut towns were burned in the historic raids of Benedict Arnold and the British General Tryon. 500,000 acres in the Western Reserve were awarded by the Connecticut Assembly in 1792 to indemnify the fire-sufferers, therefore known and “The Firelands;” consisting of what is now Huron and Erie Counties, plus Ruggles and Danbury Townships.
Originally part of Huron County, organized 1811, first courthouse at Fort Avery; County of Erie formed in 1838.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Events. A significant historical year for this entry is 1816.
Location. 41° 27.28′ N, 82° 42.693′ W. Marker is in Sandusky, Ohio, in Erie County. Marker is on Washington Street west of Columbus Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 198 Grand Army of the Republic Hwy, Sandusky OH 44870, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Boy with the Boot (a few steps from this marker); “The Early Birds” (within shouting distance of this marker); The Beecher House (within shouting distance of this marker); Jury of Erie County Women / Erie County Courthouse (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Odd Fellows Building (about 300 feet away); The Ninteenth Amendment (about 400 feet away); The Signers of the Declaration Of Independence (about 400 feet away); Old Sandusky Post Office (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sandusky.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 29, 2019. It was originally submitted on November 23, 2014, by Denise Boose of Tehachapi, California. This page has been viewed 395 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on November 23, 2014, by Denise Boose of Tehachapi, California. 2. submitted on October 29, 2019, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. 3, 4. submitted on November 23, 2014, by Denise Boose of Tehachapi, California. 5. submitted on October 29, 2019, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. • Al Wolf was the editor who published this page.