Ashepoo in Colleton County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
A brick Chapel of Ease for St. Bartholomew's Parish was built here in 1785 in a town laid out in 1740 and named for Landgrave Edmund Bellinger. The vestry reported the chapel unfit for use in 1786, and in 1810 it fell in ruins. A new chapel was built in 1819, burnt 1852, rebuilt 1854, and was wrecked by Union troops in 1865.
Erected 1961 by Colleton County Historical Society. (Marker Number 15-3.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Colonial Era • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the South Carolina, Colleton County Historical Society series list.
Location. 32° 44.549′ N, 80° 33.509′ W. Marker is in Ashepoo, South Carolina, in Colleton County. Marker is at the intersection of Ace Basin Parkway (U.S. 17) and Clover Hill Road, on the right when traveling north on Ace Basin Parkway. About 100 yards south of Ashepoo River bridge on US 17. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Green Pond SC 29446, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are Temple of Sport (approx. 3.8 miles away); Battle Of Parker's Ferry (approx. 5.2 miles away); The Burial Site of Captain John Herbert Dent (approx. 5.3 miles away); Bethel Presbyterian Church (approx. 5.3 miles away); Pon Pon Chapel (approx. 5˝ miles away); a different marker also named Pon Pon Chapel (approx. 6.1 miles away); Ruins of Pon Pon Chapel of Ease (approx. 6.1 miles away); Colonel Issac Hayne (approx. 6.4 miles away); Fateful Choices - The Hanging Of Isaac Hayne (approx. 6.4 miles away); 150 Years Of Faith at St. James Church (approx. 6˝ miles away).
Also see . . .
1. Edmundsbury and Landgrave Edmund Bellinger. The South Carolina Historical and Genealogical Magazine (page 42). (Submitted on May 26, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
2. A History of Edmundsbury, South Carolina. Found on quite a few maps of South Carolina as early as 1764 and as late as 1780, a small village named Edmundsbury can be found north and west of the well-known early town of Willton, situated in what is today Colleton County. (Submitted on January 3, 2011, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
3. Landgrave - Edmund Bellinger, Sr. Edmundsbury on the Ashepoo was laid out on land given Edmund Bellinger, the second Landgrave, and named for him. (Submitted on January 3, 2011, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
4. Cassiques. Cassiques (junior) and Landgraves (Submitted on January 3, 2011, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
5. Chapel of Ease. A chapel of ease (sometimes 'chapel-of-ease') is a church building other than the parish church, built within the bounds of a parish for the attendance of those who cannot reach the parish church conveniently. (Submitted on January 3, 2011, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on May 26, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 2,260 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 26, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.