Niagara Falls in Niagara Regional Municipality, Ontario — Central Canada
Erected by The Niagara Parks Commission.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • War of 1812 • Waterways & Vessels. A significant historical date for this entry is July 26, 1814.
Location. 43° 4.268′ N, 79° 4.367′ W. Marker is in Niagara Falls, Ontario, in Niagara Regional Municipality. Marker is on Niagara Parkway just north of Dufferin Isle Road, on the right when traveling north. It is on the Niagara River Recreation Trail just south of the abandoned Toronto Power plant. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 7230 Niagara Parkway, Niagara Falls, Ontario L0S 1A0, Canada. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Stranded Scow (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); Toronto Power Generating Station (about 150 meters away); Niagara Park GreenhousesBridgewater Mills (approx. half a kilometer away); Wm. B. Rankine (approx. 0.7 kilometers away); The Niagara Parks Commission / Commission Des Parcs Du Niagara (approx. 0.9 kilometers away); Nik Wallenda & Niagara (approx. one kilometer away in the U.S.); Niagara Falls Park and River Railway Powerhouse (approx. one kilometer away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Niagara Falls.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. It is about the Battle of Lundy’s Lane.
Also see . . . Entry in Dictionary of Canadian Biography for Burch, John. “In 1783, at the end of the war, he and his wife settled on land on the west bank of the Niagara River. Burch received several lots in what became Stamford Township and established his home at the mouth of Chippawa Creek. A few miles to the north, beside the Niagara rapids, he constructed a grist- and sawmill in 1785–86. Its workmanship and the ingenious log flume were admired by travellers of the period.” (Submitted on December 20, 2014.)
Credits. This page was last revised on September 27, 2019. It was originally submitted on December 20, 2014, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 338 times since then and 42 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 20, 2014, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.