The Hamilton County Courthouse
This building is Hamilton County's third courthouse. The first was built in Orville City, the original county seat, in 1870. After five elections, Aurora was chosen as county seat in 1876. To assure the victory, the town constructed the second courthouse here in Central Park Square in 1877. It was destroyed by fire in January 1894.
In March 1894 the county board hired architect William Gray of Lincoln, who had designed several Nebraska courthouses, to provide plans for a new building. Voters approved $60,000 in bonds for its construction and furnishing. The courthouse was completed in 1895.
The Hamilton County Courthouse is built in the County Capitol Style, emulating the shape of the U.S. Capitol. Here a tall spire is used instead of a central dome, and red brick with Colorado sandstone instead of marble. The architectural detailing follows american Round Arch designs made popular by Boston architect H. H. Richardson. The stability of county government is suggested by the building's impressive exterior and by the ornate white oak woodwork inside. The courthouse is listed in The National Register of Historic Places.
Erected 1995 by Hamilton County Courthouse Centennial Committee and Nebraska State Historical Society.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. In addition, it is included in the Nebraska State Historical Society series list. A significant historical month for this entry is January 1894.
Location. 40° 52.077′ N, 98° 0.151′ W. Marker is in Aurora, Nebraska, in Hamilton County. Marker is on 12th Street north of L Street, on the right when traveling north. Marker is in Central Park Square (the county courthouse grounds). Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1111 13th Street, Aurora NE 68818, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Civil War Memorial (a few steps from this marker); Veterans Memorial (a few steps from this marker); War Memorial (a few steps from this marker); Civil War Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Civil War Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Porcupine Ranch (approx. 10.4 miles away); Chapman Cemetery GAR Marker (approx. 13 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on November 29, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 22, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 301 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 22, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. 4. submitted on December 23, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.