Dennison in Tuscarawas County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Dennison High School
On October 23, 1927, ceremony was held for the laying of the cornerstone for the Dennison High School Building. It opened in the fall of 1928 and was called "Angel's Castle" in honor of school superintendent William Hiram Angel. The building was designed by J.K. Griffin, an architect from Canton, Ohio, in a style that has the elements of Collegiate Gothic that was popular for school and college buildings during the early twentieth century. The distinguishing architectural features of the entrance towers enhance the school's prominent location above the street level. Dennison High School is an important visual landmark in the community, as its towers are visible from the downtown area and surrounding neighborhoods. It has retained its integrity of location, materials, design, and association and conveys the early twentieth century ideals of education that the original design of the building was intended to inspire. (Continued on other side)
(Continued from other side) The interior of Dennison High School contained spaces devoted to manual training and "household" arts to supplement traditional
Erected 2006 by Dennison High School Alumni Association, Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 17-79.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. A significant historical date for this entry is February 1, 2006.
Location. 40° 23.67′ N, 81° 20.026′ W. Marker is in Dennison, Ohio, in Tuscarawas County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of North 3rd Street and Sherman Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Dennison OH 44621, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 milesDennison Railway Chapel / The Manse (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Dennison Yard and Shops / Dennison Depot (approx. 0.2 miles away); Uhrich's Mill 1806 / Clay Capital 1833-1980s (approx. 0.9 miles away); Uhrichsville (approx. 0.9 miles away); The Ohio & Erie Canal in Warwick Township (approx. 3.9 miles away); Gnadenhutten / The Gnadenhutten Massacre, "A Day of Shame" (approx. 6 miles away); Schoenbrunn Schoolhouse 1772 / Schoenbrunn Church 1772 (approx. 6½ miles away); The Seven Ranges (approx. 6.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dennison.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on March 15, 2015, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 381 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 15, 2015, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.