Murfreesboro in Rutherford County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Rutherford County / Murfreesboro
Established 1803; named in honor of
Maj. Gen. Griffith Rutherford
of the Revolutionary Army; appointed by President Washington as a Member of the Legislature for the Southwest Territory, which later became the State of Tennessee.
First settlers came in 1799; the settlement was first named Cannonsburg. It was actually founded in 1811, on land donated by Capt. William Lytle, who stipulated that the town should be named for Hardy Murfree, a Revolutionary veteran of Williamson County. From June, 1818 through April, 1826, it was the capital of the state.
Erected by Tennessee Historical Commission. (Marker Number 3A 65.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Government & Politics • Political Subdivisions • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Revolutionary. In addition, it is included in the Former U.S. Presidents: #01 George Washington, and the Tennessee Historical Commission series lists. A significant historical date for this entry is April 16, 1826.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Murfreesboro TN 37128, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. In Memory of Benjamin Liddon (approx. 0.8 miles away); George Smith Patton, Jr. (approx. 1.9 miles away); Black Fox Camp Spring (approx. 2.7 miles away); Army of the Cumberland (approx. 3.3 miles away); Murfreesboro (approx. 3.4 miles away); Benevolent Cemetery (approx. 3.7 miles away); Governor John Price Buchanan (approx. 3.9 miles away); Murfree Spring (approx. 4.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Murfreesboro.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 24, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 31, 2009, by Tom Gillard of Tullahoma, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 950 times since then and 20 times this year. Last updated on April 21, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Accra, Ghana. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 31, 2009, by Tom Gillard of Tullahoma, Tennessee. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.