Stewart Settlement House
Stewart House was organized during depression of 1921 to provide social services for Gary’s black community. A vital neighborhood center for unemployed WWI veterans and southern blacks who migrated for jobs in steel mills, it helped thousands adjust to urban life. Services included lodging and meals, as well as legal, medical, and employment advice. Moved here, 1925.
U.S. Steel, with an interest in regulating its workers, helped fund the settlement house, designed by architect W.W. Cooke. The Methodist Episcopal Church and Gary’s blacks also donated funds. Rev. Frank Delaney guided its development as superintendent, 1920-1939, and made it a source of pride for blacks. During Great Depression, it aided hundreds daily. Closed 1970s.
Erected 2014 by Indiana Historical Bureau, Indiana Landmarks, and Christ United Methodist Church. (Marker Number 45.2014.2.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Industry & Commerce
Location. 41° 35.271′ N, 87° 20.13′ W. Marker is in Gary, Indiana, in Lake County. Marker is at the intersection of East Massachusetts Street and West 15th Avenue, on the right when traveling east on East Massachusetts Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1501 E Massachusetts St, Gary IN 46403, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Froebel School (approx. 0.4 miles away); St. John's Lutheran Church (approx. 1.6 miles away); Dutch in the Calumet Region (approx. 5.9 miles away); Hobart (Indiana) Patriotic Honor Rolls (approx. 6 miles away); Great Sauk (Sac) Trail (approx. 7.1 miles away); First Physician (approx. 7.4 miles away); Ogden Dunes Ski Jump (approx. 7.9 miles away); Willow Creek Confrontation (approx. 7.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Gary.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 10, 2018. It was originally submitted on August 10, 2015, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 415 times since then and 102 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on August 10, 2015, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.