Fort McMurray in Wood Buffalo, Alberta — Canada’s Prairie Region
Discovered by Peter Pond in 1778 and used continuously for more than a century by fur-traders and explorers, including Sir Alexander Mackenzie, Sir John Franklin, and Sir George Simpson.
Erected 1937 by Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Waterways & Vessels. In addition, it is included in the Canada, Historic Sites and Monuments Board series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1778.
Location. 56° 43.867′ N, 111° 22.34′ W. Marker is in Fort McMurray, Alberta, in Wood Buffalo. Marker is at the intersection of Morimoto Drive and Hardin Street, on the right when traveling south on Morimoto Drive. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 9903 Morimoto Dr, Fort McMurray AB T9H 5E3, Canada. Touch for directions.
Additional keywords. Portage La Loche
Credits. This page was last revised on April 30, 2022. It was originally submitted on July 4, 2008, by Dawn Bowen of Fredericksburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 2,309 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 4, 2008, by Dawn Bowen of Fredericksburg, Virginia. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.