The design for Fort Atkinson was typical of most U.S. Army frontier post: a rectangular layout enclosed by a wooden picket-stockade, the parade ground was at its center, surrounded by four main barrack buildings. There were cannon houses in the northeast and southwest
When the regular troops were called to the Mexican War in 1846, Iowa volunteer militia staffed the fort until the Winnebago were removed from Iowa in 1848. The last of the militia abandoned Fort Atkinson in early 1849.
In 1855, the fort was sold at public auction. The new owners had the property surveyed and platted as the town of Fort Atkinson. The State of Iowa acquired a portion of the military fort in 1921 and dedicated it as a State Preserve in 1968.
Most of the fort's buildings were constructed of stone quarried from the adjacent hillside. In 1906, while conducting geological studies of Winneshiek County, Professor Samuel Calvin named this stone the Fort Atkinson Limestone Member of the Maquoketa Formation and designated the quarry at the southwest corner of the old fort as the geological type section. The limestone seen here originated in a shallow tropical sea 440 million years ago.
Fort Atkinson State Preserve is managed by the Iowa Department of Natural
Erected by Erected by the State Historical Society of Iowa, Iowa Department of Natural Resources, and the Friends of Fort Atkinson, 2000.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts or Castles • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers • Wars, US Indian.
Location. 43° 8.742′ N, 91° 56.354′ W. Marker is in Fort Atkinson, Iowa, in Winneshiek County. Marker is at the intersection of 2nd St. and 8th Ave. on 2nd St.. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 303 2nd St NW, Fort Atkinson IA 52144, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Also see . . . Fort Atkinson State Preserve. (Submitted on November 14, 2015, by Ruth VanSteenwyk of Aberdeen, South Dakota.)
Additional keywords. Winnebago (o-Chunk) Indians
Credits. This page was last revised on April 10, 2019. It was originally submitted on November 14, 2015, by Ruth VanSteenwyk of Aberdeen, South Dakota. This page has been viewed 431 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on November 14, 2015, by Ruth VanSteenwyk of Aberdeen, South Dakota. 2, 3. submitted on March 22, 2019. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.