Lindale in Smith County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Damascus Baptist Church
Amy Wells donated three acres here for church and cemetery purposes in 1895. Water for the congregation was provided by a spring on 1.5 acres located across the road and donated by Mr. and Mrs. D. B. McDowell. The first sanctuary was completed in 1896. At that time the church was named Damascus by Amy Wells, presumably for the Damascus in a Bible story related to the conversion of the Apostle Paul.
The Rev. Robert Gorsline was chosen the first full-time pastor in 1948. Baptisms were held in a nearby creek and pond until 1956, when an indoor baptistry was included in the church's new brick sanctuary.
Over the years additional facilities have been built to house educational and fellowship programs. The congregation is active in missionary
Erected 1994 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 7715.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches & Religion.
Location. 32° 30.856′ N, 95° 21.42′ W. Marker is in Lindale, Texas, in Smith County. Marker is on County Route 4105 0.3 miles south of County Route 4104, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 17080 County Rd 4105, Lindale TX 75771, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Bethesda Presbyterian Church and Cemetery (approx. 2.3 miles away); Whisenhunt-Kinzie House (approx. 3.1 miles away); Sabine Methodist Church (approx. 3.9 miles away); Hopewell Baptist Church (approx. 4.1 miles away); Milburn-Gary House (approx. 4.1 miles away); Antioch Baptist Church (approx. 4.7 miles away); Hubbard Family Cemetery (approx. 6.3 miles away); Duck Creek Soil Erosion Project (approx. 6.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lindale.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 20, 2016. It was originally submitted on December 26, 2015, by Randal B. Gilbert of Tyler, Texas. This page has been viewed 311 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 26, 2015, by Randal B. Gilbert of Tyler, Texas. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.