Near St. Henry in Mercer County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The Cranberry School Bell
This bell is the original from the Cranberry School that used to stand directly across the road from this location. The bell was hung in the tower on the southwest corner of the school. Every day the bell was rung to begin the school day and call the children in from recess. Anton DeCurtins built the school in 1904 and its dimensions were 36 ft. wide, 50 ft. long and 30 ft. tall with a tower. it had a red tile roof, a basement and a steam furnace. These elements made it one of the most handsome and best- appointed school buildings in the county at the time. The front entrance of the school faced west. In July of 1923 electricity was installed in the school. Originally grades one through eight were taught in the one room schoolhouse. In 1936 the school was remodeled into a two-room schoolhouse when the Cranberry and Quinter schools were combined. Grades one through four were taught on one side and five through eight on the other. A teacher’s house and a bus garage also stood next to the school. Cranberry school was in operation until the 1960-61 school year when it was annexed to St. Henry Schools. The Cranberry School
Erected 2008 by family of George Watercutter.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Education. In addition, it is included in the Historic Bells 🔔 series list.
Location. 40° 23.581′ N, 84° 34.89′ W. Marker is near St. Henry, Ohio, in Mercer County. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1519 Cranberry Rd, Saint Henry OH 45883, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. St. Francis Catholic Church (a few steps from this marker); The Cranberry Prairie (within shouting distance of this marker); Carthagena Black Cemetery (approx. 3.1 miles away); St. Henry Catholic Church (approx. 3.4 miles away); Saint Henry, Ohio (approx. 3.4 miles away); St. Rose Schoolhouse Bell (approx. 3.6 miles away); North Star (approx. 5 miles away); Maria Stein Veterans Memorial (approx. 5 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Henry.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on May 4, 2016, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 245 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on May 4, 2016, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.