Maria Stein in Mercer County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
St. Rose Schoolhouse Bell
This twenty-two inch bell was crafted out of cast iron in 1892 by C.S.Bell&Co. The bell was placed in the St. Rose Schoolhouse east of the church, where it spent its life in a cupola until its removal in 2014. for many years, this piece of finely shaped metal rang to tell children class was about to begin for the sake of their education. The school house was built in 1892 as an addition to St. Rose’s education system. The three quarter acre of land was purchased from Joseph Meiring. when it was constructed, the brick building was originally one room. It was later modified to have two rooms. The basic necessities for a classroom were present: including desk, chalkboards, and a stove for winter. Over all, the Schoolhouse had a seating capacity of about fifty people. Teachers played a big role in the brick building’s history. Teachers, such as J. Pitzen, who taught from 1896- 1900, earned a salary of about forty- eight dollars a month for nine and one half months a year. paying the teachers for educating the children was costly but vital to ensure that the children of the era received a quality education. To serve the community more, the
(picture of school, with cupola)
Erected 2015 by Eagle Scout Project for Jon Knapschaefer.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. In addition, it is included in the Historic Bells 🔔 series list.
Location. 40° 24.446′ N, 84° 30.897′ W. Marker is in Maria Stein, Ohio, in Mercer County. Marker is on Ohio Route 118, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 7428 OH-119, Maria Stein OH 45860, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Maria Stein Veterans Memorial (approx. 1.4 miles away); Maria Stein Convent and Relic Chapel (approx. 2.2 miles away); St John the Baptist Catholic Church (approx. 2.2 miles away); Carthagena Black Cemetery (approx. 3.6 miles away); The Cranberry School Bell (approx. 3.6 miles away); St. Francis Catholic Church (approx. 3.7 miles away); The Cranberry Prairie (approx. 3.7 miles away); Annie Oakley Parents' Grave (approx. 6.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Maria Stein.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on May 4, 2016, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 223 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on May 4, 2016, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.