Gabreil Daveis Tavern
This was the first recorded tavern along the “Irish Road”, the great road leading from Gloucester Township to Great Egg Harbor. Guests could find lodging and meal for a few shillings and pence.
Notable persons who inhabited the tavern over the years include Benjamin Pittfield, 1771, a patriot leader during the Revolutionary War; Major George Payne, 1779, a patriot and owner of a privateer, a privately owned and armed ship, licensed to prey on enemy vessels; and Captain Edward Warrick, 1865, and officer during the Civil War.
The last owner was William F. Schuck who owned the property from 1923 - 1976. In his will, Mr. Schurk deeded the property to the Township of Gloucester to be preserved as a historic structure.
Erected by Town of Gloucester-Camden County.
Topics. This memorial is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Industry & Commerce • War, US Revolutionary. A significant historical year for this entry is 1756.
Location. 39° 50.252′ N, 75° 3.646′
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. St. John the Evangelist Episcopal Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); Ashbrook's Burial Ground (approx. 1.1 miles away); Clement's Bridge (approx. 1.3 miles away); The Clement Oak (approx. 1.7 miles away); The First Air Voyage in America (approx. 1.7 miles away); The Atlantic City Railroad (approx. 1.7 miles away); Railroad Stations of Magnolia (approx. 1.7 miles away); Churches (approx. 1.7 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on May 27, 2016, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 307 times since then and 70 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on May 27, 2016, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.