Near Williamstown in Hancock County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Fort Necessity / William Hull Memorial Park
A short distance to the northeast a small stockade and blockhouse were built on June 22, 1812 by order of General William Hull for his nearly 2000 man army on its Detroit expedition during the War of 1812. Here mired in mud, Hull, his Ohio militiamen, and army regulars rested, made paper cartridges, and then moved north with a lumbering wagon train to Detroit and eventual surrender.
Word of General Hull's surrender at Detroit on August 16, 1812 angered and panicked Ohioans. But from the ashes of humiliation arose a new resolve for victory against the British and their Indian allies in the War of 1812. This park is dedicated to William Hull, Revolutionary War soldier, first territorial governor of Michigan, and brigadier general in 1812.
Erected by Louis and Edward Galitza Fort Necessity, Inc. (Marker Number 2-32.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts and CastlesNative Americans • War of 1812. In addition, it is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection series list. A significant historical date for this entry is June 22, 1812.
Location. Marker is missing. It was located near 40° 49.175′ N, 83° 40.093′ W. Marker was near Williamstown, Ohio, in Hancock County. Marker could be reached from County Route 2 west of U.S. 68, on the right when traveling west. The Remarkable Ohio website states that this, "marker stolen from site." Apparently a stone column, placed near this site by neighboring Hardin County in 1915 to also mark the approximate location of Fort Necessity, as well as Hull's Trail, was situated nearby the missing Ohio Historical Marker. Touch for map. Marker was in this post office area: Williamstown OH 45897, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this location, measured as the crow flies. Hull’s Trail 1812 (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Williamstown (approx. 1.3 miles away); To Remember Veterans Of All Wars (approx. 2.3 miles away); a different marker also named To Remember Veterans Of All Wars (approx. 2.4 miles away); Hull's Trail, 1812Dunkirk Veterans Memorial (approx. 3.4 miles away); Hog-Creek Marsh (approx. 4.2 miles away); Shipwreck History (approx. 4.6 miles away).
Regarding Fort Necessity / William Hull Memorial Park. The text on the nearby stone column, that was placed there in 1915 by Hardin County reads as follows: Hull’s Trail, 1812, Fort Necessity, 400 Feet North, 150 Feet East, Old Spring, 700 Feet North.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 21, 2018. It was originally submitted on June 28, 2016, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 522 times since then and 54 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on June 28, 2016, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. 7. submitted on April 18, 2018, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.