Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Mequon in Ozaukee County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Baeseman Log Cabin

 
 
Baeseman Log Cabin Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joel S., June 27, 2016
1. Baeseman Log Cabin Marker
Inscription.  
History of the Baeseman Log House

The Baeseman Log Cabin originally stood near the intersection of Highland Road and Wasaukee Road (about 1 mile west and 1 mile north of its present site). The exact date of the building is unknown but the land was claimed and registered on October 5, 1841. The Baeseman family belonged to Trinity congregation during the time they lived in the log home.

Successive owners of the log home:
Frederich Vauk-June 22, 1855
Ferdinand Paape-May 28, 1877
Fred Dallmann-September 22, 1936
Ted Egelhoff-1965

In 1965 the home was donated to the Trinity Historical Society and moved to its present location.

History of this Site

The Baeseman log home is now situated where the first log church and school building of Trinity Freistadt congregation once stood.

From October 1839, and until the log church was completed in 1840, Trinity congregation met for Sunday worship in the homes of its members. The log church was 20' by 30' in size and cost $45.50 to build. During the week the same building was used as the school.

Trinity congregation

Baeseman Log Cabin image. Click for full size.
By Joel S., June 27, 2016
2. Baeseman Log Cabin
Click or scan to see
this page online
continued to worship in their log cabin church until a larger "fachwerk"* church was constructed to the northeast of this site.

The present church was built in 1884.

*An example of "Fachwerk" can be seen on the Parsonage Barn, #11, on the walking tour.
 
Erected by Trinity Historical Society. (Marker Number 1.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical date for this entry is October 5, 1841.
 
Location. 43° 14.048′ N, 88° 2.776′ W. Marker is in Mequon, Wisconsin, in Ozaukee County. Marker can be reached from Church Place 0.1 miles south of Freistadt Road, on the right when traveling south. Marker is located in the Trinity Freistadt Historical Site. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Mequon WI 53097, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Radue Chicken Coop (a few steps from this marker); Vogt Woodshed/Radue Gas Engine (a few steps from this marker); Cemetery Outhouse (a few steps from this marker); Gierach Smokehouse (a few steps from this marker); Trinity Horse Shed Reconstruction (within shouting distance of this marker); Mueller Machine Shed (within shouting distance of this marker); Klumb-Beuscher Bake Oven
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
(within shouting distance of this marker); Trinity School Woodshed (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mequon.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 8, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 8, 2016, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 294 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 8, 2016, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=95656

Paid Advertisement
May. 14, 2021