Prarieville in Kaufman County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
(Site within Mercer Colony land grant)
In 1848 colonists organized a church, Erick Bache in 1853 built a hotel which served as post office and station on two stage lines. By 1857 Prairieville had about 80 Norwegians living as neighbors to Anglo-Americans, Danes, Frenchmen, Germans, Swedes, and other early settlers.
Erected 1971 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 8544.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1847.
Location. 32° 28.793′ N, 96° 6.158′ W. Marker is in Prarieville, Texas, in Kaufman County. Marker is at the intersection of Farm to Market Road 90 and Gordon Lane, on the left when traveling east on Route 90. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 11491 FM 90, Mabank TX 75147, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 milesCapt. Edward Thomas Broughton and the Johnson Guards (a few steps from this marker); White Hall School (approx. 5 miles away); Lone Oak Cemetery (approx. 5.3 miles away); Fox Cemetery (approx. 5.7 miles away); Capt. Israel Spikes (approx. 5.7 miles away); Cedarvale Cemetery (approx. 7.1 miles away); Mabank (approx. 7.7 miles away); First Presbyterian Church of Mabank (approx. 7.8 miles away).
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. Across the street from this marker
Credits. This page was last revised on August 3, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 1, 2016, by Rheba Bybee of Seagoville, Texas. This page has been viewed 364 times since then and 51 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 1, 2016, by Rheba Bybee of Seagoville, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.