Oshkosh in Winnebago County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Elizabeth Batchelder Davis Children’s Home
On this site stood the house that was once the Elizabeth Batchelder Davis Children’s Home. The Greek Revival-style house was built circa 1855 for Oshkosh attorney Coles Bashford (1816-1878). Bashford was later elected Wisconsin’s first Republican governor and served 1856-1858. The house was purchased in 1875 by Oshkosh lumberman Robert McMillan (1830-1897), whose family owned it for more than 30 years. In 1911, the house became the property of trustees authorized by the will of Elizabeth Batchelder Davis (est. 1822-1910), whose dream was to provide and perpetually maintain a home for children needing care and shelter. It was then known as the Elizabeth Batchelder Davis Children’s Home.
The Home opened in 1912 as a girls’ orphanage. It was situated on a 65-acre farm that included outbuildings, livestock and an orchard. The farm provided the children fresh food, and the chores provided them good learning opportunities. By 1914 the orphanage accepted both boys and girls. In the 1920s it became a foster home when the need for orphanages diminished. The Home cared for children until 1963. In 1965
Erected 2016 by Winnebago County Historical and Archaeological Society and the Wisconsin Historical Society. (Marker Number 560.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Charity & Public Work • Education • Women. In addition, it is included in the Wisconsin Historical Society series list.
Location. 44° 2.035′ N, 88° 34.426′ W. Marker is in Oshkosh, Wisconsin, in Winnebago County. Marker is on Oshkosh Avenue 0.1 miles east of North Westfield Street. Marker is located on the grounds of the Davis Childrens Center, which is located at 1260 North Westfield Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Oshkosh WI 54902, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Rainbow Memorial Park (approx. 0.4 miles away); Knaggs Ferry (approx. 0.4 miles The 32d Red Arrow Division (approx. 0.6 miles away); G.A.R. Memorial (approx. ¾ mile away); Spanish–American War Monument (approx. ¾ mile away); Edgar Sawyer House (approx. 0.8 miles away); Soldier and Sailor Monument (approx. 1.1 miles away); Oldest House (approx. 2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Oshkosh.
Regarding Elizabeth Batchelder Davis Children’s Home. This marker replaces the Coles Bashford House marker (No. 217), which was deemed obsolete following the razing of the house.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 5, 2018. It was originally submitted on August 4, 2016, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 282 times since then and 33 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 4, 2016, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.