Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Atlanta in Fulton County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

The Exterior Line

July - August 1864

 
 
The Exterior Line Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mrs. Sarahlyn Davies Bennett, May 10, 2009
1. The Exterior Line Marker
Marker is South of the ridge where the entrenchments were during the Civil War.
Inscription.  When Federal forces E. of Atlanta were shifting to the W. side, to move against the Macon and West Point rail roads (entering the city from the S.W.), the Confederate defenders intrenched a line W. and parallel to them.

This line began at W. Fair and Ashby Sts. and ran S.W. to & beyond this point, ending at the Ga. Military Academy in College Park.

Siege Operations (July 28-Aug. 25) were barren of results & ceased with transfer of Federal Forces S. to Fairburn & Jonesboro where the seizure of the railroads and consequent evacuation of Atlanta, ended the campaign.
 
Erected 1958 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 060-136.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list.
 
Location. Marker has been reported missing. It was located near 33° 44.333′ N, 84° 25.985′ W. Marker was in Atlanta, Georgia, in Fulton County. Marker was on Ralph David Abernathy (formerly Gordon
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Road) (Georgia Route 139) near Cascade Avenue (Georgia Route 154), on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker was in this post office area: Atlanta GA 30311, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this location, measured as the crow flies. Original Gas Street Light (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Wren’s Nest (approx. 0.6 miles away); Clayton’s Div., Lee’s A.C. (approx. ¾ mile away); a different marker also named Clayton's Div., Lee's A.C. (approx. 0.9 miles away); Battle of Ezra Church (approx. one mile away); The Union Dispositions (approx. one mile away); The Confederate Attack (approx. one mile away); The Battle of Ezra Church / The Preliminary Operations (approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Atlanta.
 
More about this marker. Marker written and submitted by Mr. Wilbur Kurtz, Historian and Artist and member of the Atlanta Historical Society along with Lieutenant Colonel Allen P. Julian, former US Army Historian from Fort McPherson, GA and past President of the Atlanta Historical Society.
 
Regarding The Exterior Line. South of the ridge site of former Confederate Defenses (now houses built in the 1940-1950's
 
Additional keywords. Wilbur Kurtz, Extended defenses to East Point, Battle of Utoy Creek, GA
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 15, 2016. It was originally submitted on May 10, 2009, by Lieutenant Colonel Perry Bennett, Army Historian of Atlanta, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,052 times since then and 17 times this year. Last updated on August 12, 2016, by Lieutenant Colonel Perry Bennett, Army Historian of Atlanta, Georgia. Photo   1. submitted on May 10, 2009, by Lieutenant Colonel Perry Bennett, Army Historian of Atlanta, Georgia. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=96774

Paid Advertisement
Oct. 25, 2021