Founding of Ashland College / Ashland Eagles Tradition
Founding of Ashland College
The dream of establishing a college was born in the hearts of members of the German Brethren Church. In March 1877, a meeting was held at the Maple Grove Brethren Church to discuss the establishment of a college in Ashland. A town meeting followed in June. At this meeting residents agreed to help raise $10,000 to establish the College. On February 20, 1878, the charter and by-laws were approved and the most desirable location for the campus was chosen. Ashland College opened in 1879 with two buildings, eight faculty, and 60 students. In 1881, four male students comprised the first graduating class.
Ashland Eagles Tradition
Once known as the Titans, Ashland College athletes became the Eagles in 1933. Wreathed in purple and gold (the school colors since 1900), Eagle statues remain the institution's most visible tradition. These statues, once the official mascot of the J.I. Case Co., began appearing on campus in 1941 with the arrival of Louise, which perched in front of Old Founders Hall until it burned down. Kidnapped by students in the still of the night, additional statues appeared
Erected 2003 by Ashland University The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 5-3.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Education. In addition, it is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection series list.
Location. 40° 51.736′ N, 82° 19.433′ W. Marker is in Ashland, Ohio, in Ashland County. Marker can be reached from Jefferson Street. Marker is on the Ashland University Campus, at the approach to the catering and conference center, from the parking lot on Jefferson Street behind the John C. Myers Convocation Center. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 638 Jefferson Street, Ashland OH 44805, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Jones Memorial Terrace (approx. 0.2 miles away); Ashland County Veterans Memorial (approx. half a mile away); Ashland County World War Memorial (approx. Ashland County Pioneer Memorial (approx. 0.6 miles away); Ashland County Soldiers and Sailors Memorial (approx. 0.6 miles away); Ashland County Courthouse Bell (approx. 0.6 miles away); Freer Civil War Memorial (approx. 0.6 miles away); Ashland County Veterans Memorial Bridge (approx. 1.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ashland.
Credits. This page was last revised on March 17, 2021. It was originally submitted on August 21, 2016, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 603 times since then and 126 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on August 21, 2016, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.