Classic Site on the Banks of the Great Miami River
On this site Daniel Gebhart established a tavern in 1811. Taverns were where people gathered to eat, rest, and share news. During spring freshets, boatmen from the Great Miami River stayed at the tavern. Joining them were pioneers coming by the river and overland to settle at Hole's Station, now Miamisburg. The tavern closed in 1840, became a boarding house, and then sold to become a private residence in 1853. To commemorate the nation's Bicentennial in 1976, Miamisburg's bicentennial committee purchased the tavern and gave it to the city. It was restored and opened as a museum in 1982
Jacob Kercher, a founder of Miamisburg, came here in 1809 and built a house that same year. It is an example of a structure built with logs and covered with lap siding. The north side and interior show the log structure. On July 16, 2008, the house was moved here from its original location on Ferry Street. It was made structurally safe and is used for the Historical Society's educational programs. The smokehouse next to the pioneer home was discovered on Harold R. Gebhart's farm at the corner of routes 741 and
Erected 2012 by Miamisburg Historical Society The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 19- 57.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers • Waterways & Vessels. A significant historical year for this entry is 1811.
Location. 39° 38.295′ N, 84° 17.463′ W. Marker is in Miamisburg, Ohio, in Montgomery County. Marker is at the intersection of West Lock Street and South Miami Avenue, on the right when traveling west on West Lock Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 104 West Lock Street, Miamisburg OH 45342, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Miamisburg in the Great Flood of 1913 (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Miami Connection (approx. 0.3 miles away); Mound Laboratory (1946- 2010) (approx. 0.7 miles away); Site of Mound Laboratory (1946- 2003) (approx. 0.7 miles away); Miamisburg Mound (approx. 0.9 miles away); a different marker also named The Miamisburg Mound (approx. 0.9 miles away); Has This Site Ever Been Explored? (approx. 0.9 miles away); Current Restoration Efforts (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Miamisburg.
Additional keywords. Ohio Historical Society
Credits. This page was last revised on September 26, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 23, 2016, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 220 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on September 23, 2016, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.