Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Romulus in Wayne County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Merrill-Morris House

 
 
Merrill-Morris House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, October 18, 2016
1. Merrill-Morris House Marker
Inscription.  Constructed in 1846, this Greek Revival residence was erected just nineteen years after Romulus was first settled. Originally the home of pioneer Harvey W. Merrill, the house is believed to be the oldest still standing in the city. Large walnut beams, hewn with an adz (a cutting tool), support the wood frame structure. Small frieze windows with grilles decorate the front entrance. This refined farmhouse became the home of Ray V. Morris and family in 1912.
 
Erected 1980 by Michigan History Division, Department of State. (Marker Number L606.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Michigan Historical Commission series list.
 
Location. 42° 12.109′ N, 83° 24.27′ W. Marker is in Romulus, Michigan, in Wayne County. Marker is on South Huron River Drive 0.6 miles south of Northline Road, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 13880 Huron River Drive, Romulus MI 48174, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers
Merrill-Morris House and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, October 18, 2016
2. Merrill-Morris House and Marker
are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Morris Homestead (within shouting distance of this marker); French Landing Dam and Powerhouse (approx. 2 miles away); Old Van Buren Township Hall (approx. 4.4 miles away); Wayne Industries (approx. 5˝ miles away); Old Wayne Village Hall (approx. 5.6 miles away); First Congregational Church (approx. 5.6 miles away); Johnson's Tavern (approx. 5.7 miles away); Eloise Poorhouse/Hospital (approx. 6˝ miles away).
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 18, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 18, 2016, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 232 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on October 18, 2016, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 10, 2020