Lemoyne in Cumberland County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Harrisburg - 3
Formerly named Bridgeport
Erected by Pennsylvania Department of Highways.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 40° 14.474′ N, 76° 54.567′ W. Marker is in Lemoyne, Pennsylvania, in Cumberland County. Marker is on Market Street west of South 15th Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1300 Market Street, Lemoyne PA 17043, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Camp Hill (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Robert Whitehill (1735 - 1813) (approx. 0.4 miles away); Fort Couch (approx. 0.4 miles away); Fort Couch - General Couch - Fort Washington (approx. 0.4 miles away); a different marker also named Fort Couch (approx. half a mile away); Camp Hill Church of God (approx. 0.6 miles away); White Hall School (approx. 0.8 miles away); The Skirmish of Oyster’s Point (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lemoyne.
Also see . . . History - Borough of Lemoyne. Before Lemoyne was incorporated in 1905, the area was first named as Bridgeport in 1835 and later Riverton in 1888. When the population hit 800, the citizens decided to apply for their own post office. The United States Postal Service granted the request on one condition, that the name of the town be changed so as not to be confused with Riverton, VA.... (Submitted on October 20, 2016.)
Credits. This page was last revised on October 20, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 20, 2016, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 282 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 20, 2016, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California.